Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Gift of Smell: Often takes me back in time...

Yesterday, it was an absolutely gorgeous Labor Day holiday and Jim and I took the C's to Freedom Park. It really was a delightful afternoon - the park was abuzz with families walking, children playing, dogs and their owners walking...and the weather...ahh...picture perfect! As we were walking along one of the trails across the bridge...a strange...yet familiar scent rolled through the air. I took a deep breath and just shut my eyes and enjoyed the lingering nostalgic moment. It was the scent of wild honeysuckle vines, and pine sap from the trees hidden deep within the woods there. It also held notes of fresh dirt, ready to be run through...it even seemed to hold the crisp notes of autumn drifting in the air. As I inhaled this glorious scent...I was taken back to a certain time in my life. My memories ambled back to my Jr. High School days and I was with my brother wandering like we had all the time in the world through this old man's pasture back behind our neighborhood; my brother and I called it "Paradise". It was a wooded pasture with cows and bulls (that ended up chasing us one day...but that's another story entirely)...
What a wonderful moment for me. I relished my time with my family yesterday at the park, and was so thankful for the gift of scent...and the memories that come rushing back when I smell something familiar.
How about you? Do you have any favorite scents that bring back certain memories?
xoxo -
Kasey



6 comments:

shannon said...

Love the honeysuckle scent!
Of course, bacon and grease frying do take me back to my great grandmother's Sunday cooking. Love it!
gosh...w/o smell food just would not be the same...and I do love my food!

Danielle said...

Sometimes smells can take me back to moments even better than photographs can.

Kasey said...

Shannon - I love that bacon smell too - how awesome it reminds you of your Great Grandmother's cooking. So sweet.. Oh - and yes - I love my food too! A little too much - lol! :)

Danielle - I totally agree...thanks y'all!

xoxo - k

Sally said...

The smell of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies reminds me of waking up from a nap as a child to a delicious home made snack.

Anonymous said...

I love Freedom Park, it is my all-time favorite place in Charlotte. I went there a lot in high school and college. My favorite smells would be of cakes baking (my mom made cakes growing up and there was a cake baking almost daily in our house) and the smell of the air at the beach!

Kasey said...

I hear ya Sally - LOVE that smell!

And I also love the cakes and beach smell...they bring back special memories for me too!

Love you friends! -k