Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Caroling

When I was just a girl, I remember watching my sweet Grandma direct the choir at our church. She had such a love for music and still does...it seems to permeate through her. If you know anything about my Grandma...you would know she loves music. She can play the piano by ear...play the auto harp by ear...and sing beautifully...she is so gifted in that "department"...and she has certainly used her gifts to the best of her abilities. (She ended up directing the choir for 50 years...she did this as a volunteer).
This post is about one of the gifts that she impressed upon me...Christmas Caroling...when I think of Christmas...I always think of caroling with my Grandma years ago. I remember seeing injured people that we would sing for and their loved ones crying at the sweetness of the songs we sang...it truly touched their hearts that we were there and were singing these songs for them. I also remember singing for the elderly and the smiles that would light up their sweet faces as we sang to them...sometimes they would even sing along with us. I think the strongest emotion that was in the air during these times was love. Those songs, the fact that we were there, singing for them...letting them know that someone cared...that someone loved them...that was the most beautiful thing to me.
My Grandma knows this, thankfully she is still here...blessing me with her wisdom, love and kindness daily and I have discussed these wonderful memories with her and what they mean to me...and now...I try to follow in her footsteps. This was the second year that I was able to put together an evening for my fellow church members to go out and sing to the sick and elderly in our community. We travelled to two different assisted living places this year...and what a wonderful experience it was! To see the children in our group hugging and loving on these precious individuals was absolutely amazing! To see the faces of the folks we visited and sang for light up like Christmas lights was nothing short of awing...it fills my heart with joy to let these folks know that even though they may feel so alone at times...they are not. One of the ladies we had the privilege to sing for had just celebrated her 100th birthday.
I hope that my children will remember these special times and that it will forever be imprinted on their hearts...a love for the elderly...the injured...the less fortunate...and that when they are older, they will have the desire and the drive to go out and perhaps sing...but definitely "do" for and help others.
Love,
Kasey

2 comments:

Stacia said...

Your children will remember and will be better people for it. You set a wonderful, loving example for them. I remember my grandma taking my sister and I to the hospital around Christmas for caroling when we were little girls. I can still picture the jingle bells shaker! I hope that when I'm older, young people will spend time with me once in a while ;o)

Kasey said...

That is so neat that your Grandma took you caroling and you can still remember the shaker! I know you will have lots of young folks visiting you...you're just too cool! <3 ya!