Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pleasing Everybody?


"I cannot give you the formula for success, but, I can give you the formula for failure -- which is: Try to please everybody." ~Herbert Bayard Swope
A saw this quote the other day, and wow...it hit me. I sure do wish I'd learned this life lesson earlier on. I've known it for years now...but...back in the day, Jr. High and High School, how great would it have been to actually understand and comprehend this quote. I wouldn't actually say that back then I tried to please everyone...but...in ways I did...I was naive enough to think that I could anyway. Ignorance is bliss...until you wake up to what you've been ignorant to, haha...I can look back and chuckle now. I remember thinking I knew it all...very much like the song from Mongomery Gentry, "Back When I Knew it All". That was totally me...hard headed...a donkey with it's little heels sticking in the mud...saying "you ain't makin me go no further...that ain't no real carrot" - ha! Over the years I am still as stubborn, but, I feel that if there is something or someone with an idea on how to lighten my load...I'll listen...I may not budge...but at least I'll listen and learn rather than have my wall up and just say...nope...my way or the highway...
Now, I am thankful to be able to stand my ground on certain issues and things, but, I am also glad to be wiser in listening and taking others words to heart. I realize that you cannot please everybody, and thus the quote..."birds of a feather usually stick together". However, I do have many friends who think differently from me on many issues, and I value those friendships just as much as I value the ones where we see eye to eye on pretty much anything.
God sure did make the world a colorful place! I am happy to be in the "summertime" of my life and able to appreciate the ups and downs. It's the downs that make us stronger & I'm glad I can take the lessons and appreciate each one.
xoxo -
Kasey

1 comment:

shannon said...

Great post! how true...