Thursday, July 23, 2009

Farewell to an Old Friend...

This post is in fond memory of an old high school friend named Chris Lutz. We rode the bus together during junior high, and then sometimes shared a ride in each other's cars (because that was "cool") in high school. Chris and I had recently reconnected through facebook, and he seemed on top of the world. Co-owner of a popular pub in Asheville and brand new father to a precious baby girl. It was such a shock when I went to his FB page and realized that he had suddenly passed away. I couldn't believe it! But as my eyes poured over his wall...my heart was filled with sweet emotion. So many of his friends had written on his wall, and not only that...but they wrote "to" him...as if he were still reading and checking his page daily (I decided to follow suit on that as well). I'd like to believe he is able to see the wonderful inscriptions that are written on that wall of his. It really makes one think about the legacy we will all leave when our times come. Chris lead a life that brought a smile to people's faces...even strangers. He literally lit up the room around him. I pray that I can be that light and inspiration. He did for his fellow man and didn't expect anything in return - a trait that seems to be dwindling in this era in which we live. Chris's death caused me to remember my sweet grandfather's passing and his funeral. I had NEVER in all my life seen SO MANY people at a place to give their respects and say their good-byes as I did at my grandfather's funeral. He had so many friends and good relations that some had to stand OUTSIDE the church during the funeral service - it was that packed!! My grandfather had been a barber in historic Matthews...he had so many great conversations with his clients. I remember being there on hot summer days when my daddy would be getting a haircut, and I'd go back into "Pop's" old office in the back of the barber shop, and pull open the old-fashioned refrigerator and grab an ice cold Sun-Drop, and listen to the men laugh while they were being coiffed. At his funeral a man came up to me and said, "Your grandfather was the most honest man I've ever known", that really sat with me...and always will. I sure do miss both of them, but know that I will see them again someday.
In closing, I want to leave you with these words that were posted on his wall from one of Chris's friends, Jamar Bryson: "...I could always count on you for a laugh, man you brightened so many peoples life and will continue to. You know we sometimes take that gift for granted. Everyone remember to frown less, smile and laugh more, share this gift with everyone you can, even people you don't know that well. Because that's what CHRIS LUTZ would have done and that's what he would have wanted. Love ya!"
xoxo -
Kasey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Kasey! Chris was pretty special! And for the record, I would definitely place you in the category of people that "light" up the room! You have always been such a positive and warm person to be around! And today...I will remember to smile LOTS!

Kasey said...

Thanks Leslee, you made my day! I love you girl!