Monday, July 27, 2009

Music: My Father in Me

I'll tell you what...it's so awesome to be able to see great things about your parents that have been imprinted on you (sometimes there are not so great traits...but...this post is about the good ones). :) For as long as I can remember, my dad has LOVED music! His favorite kind of music is classic country...George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Alabama...the greats that really made Country music what it is today. I remember riding down along back country roads with him on the way to my grandma's house jamming out to "He Stopped Loving Her Today", by George Jones and "Dixieland Delight" by Alabama. We were always in some old truck of his - he also has a car/truck fetish - a new "old" one about every six mos.! (What can I say - he's a man)! ;) Today when I hear these songs, I recall delightful memories of riding with the windows down on sunny, hot summer days, standing in the seat next to him with my arm around his neck (yes, of course there were no seat belt laws back then) and just being so happy. I share his love of music these days and really enjoy listening to these songs because they really can lift my mood and take me back to sweet times shared with my dad. Nowadays, one of his hobbies is making CD's for everyone full of the hits and songs we grew up with. He's added to his repertoire Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Sam Cooke, and many other greats. I love just being able to say, "Dad - can you make me this cd - do you remember we used to listen to him/her all the time"? I think he gets a kick out of it. I hope to instill this same appreciation with my kiddos. Music is such an awesome gift...and it's one of those things that can bring back so many good memories. Today, my little sweeties are exposed to Kenny Chesney, Michael Bublee, of course the classic country that I grew up with, and lots more...I hope that they will have the good memories of riding together and being together as a family like I do and share the same love for music that my father and I share. And yes...sometimes I wish...they were able to stand next to me and put their little arms around my neck too...
xoxo -
Kasey

No comments: