Friday, July 31, 2009

Musings: Jesus vs. Wind


Today as I was sitting outside on my screened in porch perusing through a magazine, I noticed a certain scent floating through the air. Mmmm I thought to myself...rain is on the way. There's always that glorious smell before the storm hits - I love it...savor it even...nothing like the aroma of fresh rain. Right about that time I started noticing the wind was picking up...
I've been reading a book by Francine Rivers, "A Voice in the Wind", it's about a young Christian Jewish girl going through the time period where the Romans are killing all Jews and Christians. She is the only one left alive in her family, she is clearly left because the Lord has plans for her. She is a slave in an upper class Roman family and the only Christian living among Romans who believe in only their idols and she also lives among Jewish slaves that are not Christ believing. I am only about 100 pages into the book...but...many in the book keep referring to her "God" as "the unseen god". And then it hit me...
How do we "believe" in wind and air...we can't "see" it, though it is obviously there. We can't tangibly "touch" it...we can only "feel" it lightly brush against our skin or see the effects of it blowing the trees around...yet it is so easy for people to believe that the wind is actually there. As I watched those trees blowing in the wind today...I thought of my life...and other people's lives as Christians. I can truly "see" God's hand in my life. I feel His awesome presence. He inspires me, diciplines me, loves me...and is there for me throughout each and every high and low of my life. I see the ramifications of Jesus dying on that cross for me...I can feel it...I am so thankful that I am "forgiven"! We can't "see" Jesus today...but we have God's gift to us...the Bible...written by people before He came (the Old Testament)...and people who witnessed Jesus (the New Testament)...walked with Him...talked with Him (my favorites are John, Paul and James). What an amazing account of His life we have when you think about it. Christianity is the ONLY religion in which it's God sacrificed Himself for His people and was raised from the dead. I feel so blessed to be in "the know"...to feel this...to know this...even if only by faith...but what keeps my faith alive is the "seeing" of my everyday life...and the blessings that I have received in my life...but most of all...the dicipline that I go through in my life. I thank the Lord that I can see and feel His touch...His gentle whisper that comes to me in a sweet breeze...
xoxo -
Kasey

No comments: