Saturday, November 21, 2009

Grandma Moses

"Life is what you make of it. Always has been. Always will be." ~ Grandma Moses
My mother has a large print of one of Grandma Moses' works of art in her home. I love it because it is very simple, and it reminds me of simpler days gone by. Believe it or not, Grandma Moses started painting in her 70's - how cool is that? She started painting, because arthritis was getting in the way of her love for embroidery. Her birth name was Anna Mary Robertson, she lived a long and blessed life passing away at the age of 101. One of her most famous pieces, "Sugaring Off" (1943)...{the one shown in the picture} is one of my favorites and sold in 2006 for 1.2 million - what would she have thought of that??
I really admire this lady...not only because in her 70's she had the desire take up the art of painting, but the quote above is just as simple as her paintings...and I just feel that she was a wise, happy little lady (like I hope to one day be).
Here's to making the most of life and giving more than we receive!
xoxo -
Kasey

No comments: