Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Sister and Me


Today I spent some time with my sister, Erin and her family, it was really nice and we had such a good time. My sis and I are at a wonderful place in our relationship, which makes me very happy. You see, when we were younger...things were not always so good. It must have been some sort of invisible rivalry or competition of sorts for us...or...it could be that we are just about polar opposites. Ha!
I remember one day long ago...Erin was about 5 and I was like 7 or 8, and she came up to me and said, "I want to run away"! And I said, "REEEEAALLY? Well - let me help you pack"! And that is just what I did. I remember going to get her little navy suitcase, with large purple and green flowers on it and packed a few days worth of clothing, oh, I threw in a few bananas and crackers for good measure too. Then, I bundled her up in her navy pea coat (it was a bit chilly out) and walked her down the driveway gave her a little push and said, "Love ya! See ya! Bye!" She walked a little ways down the street and then came back, and I was like, "Why are you back"?
"Didn't have nowhere to go"...she replied.
Is that crazy or what? Hilarious even!
Then there was the time we shared a room and we kept fighting about whose side was whose (we had twin beds on opposite sides of the room) and we ended up putting a line of masking tape all the way down the middle of our room on the hard wood floors. Later, I realized the closet with all of our clothes in it was on her side of the room...which leads me to my point. Erin has always, always, always had the brains of us 2 girls. (smile) She was always an honor student, tests and schoolwork just came naturally to her...especially in math and science which were my worst subjects. Erin is a girl who, at 8 mos. pregnant graduated from law school with honors - top 10 in her class!! She also took the bar exam and passed it on the first try a month and a half after her baby was born! I mean...come on...who can measure up to that...certainly not me...ha ha! Now, I'm not saying I'm a dummy or anything...and Erin wasn't as strongly suited in writing as I was, I won a few contests in grade school. I thought that was my passion and that I wanted to be a communications major...but...I realized that I just enjoy writing for myself...like this blog for instance. Erin and I are very opposite.
Nevertheless...at this stage in our life...we have been able to put aside our vast differences and embrace each other...like sisters should. I love our relationship and hope that as the years go by, we only grow closer. I love to talk on the phone with her...sure wish she lived closer. I am so thankful that the Lord stepped in and brought us together...don't know what I'd do without her!
I love you, Erin!
xoxo -
Kasey


1 comment:

CrysCatt (chris-cat) said...

That is SO FUNNY! You packed her suitcase added a banana for good measure. Thats knee slapping funny girl! Me and my sis are about 13 yrs apart. She was the baby girl for so long, until me. She was a little green eyed for some years but now her and I get along great. Watch Sarah and Sophia is amazing they are only 2 yrs apart and so far so good. Say a prayer about that. I sure hope it stays this good forever for them. They are the BEST of friends.