Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Soup Kitchen


So...I went and volunteered with some of my friends at the Uptown Soup Kitchen last week...and what an experience. This is the 5th year we've done this, and every year it is different...but yet the same. I see some of the same faces over and over...many of these folks, I can tell have severe emotional and psychological issues. Some have a harshness about them...you can tell with a single glance that their souls are dark. Others have a calming, peacefulness about them...very endearing...very thankful for what we are doing and that we are there. Some will tell you their life's story...others won't even meet your gaze.
We are always in charge of the drink to go with lunch. They like Kool-Aide...and they like it SWEET. I'll put it this way...we put into a large steel pot...two and a half of the x-tra large, HUGE, Kool-Aide round jar mixes that are pre-sweetened...and added a half a x-tra large bag of Domino sugar! EEEK - I just don't think I could get it down that sweet...nonetheless...that is how we make it...because that is how they love it.
It always strikes me who is at peace and who is happy and who is absolutely miserable. Happy you ask? Yes...I've met folks (albeit, they have some mental issues and that is clear)...but despite this...they are happy. They seem sweet and very humble and thankful. Still other folks...yes...mental issues and sometimes not...are miserable and dark. I pray for these people when I see them. Sometimes I wonder if they see me...because they won't look at me...they look in my direction, like they can tell I am (or someone is) standing there...but never directly at me. It is very interesting and makes me think of spiritual warfare.
Each year I am touched and blessed. I look forward to the times that I can share this with my children so that they will know what giving means...what compassion and love, truly mean.
Friends, we are so blessed, do we even realize it? I want to share this verse that I posted on my friend Joy's blog just yesterday. Jesus says in Matthew 25:40 "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me".
xoxo -
Kasey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so interesting that your post is about this, as I have been thinking I really want to start going with a friend from church to serve meals at The Shelter here in Tally. This is another little sign that I should. I have a friend named "Bill" that I see out and about. He is incredibly intelligent and obviously homeless. When I have the time though I quite enjoy sitting and talking with him. He is very knowledgeable and seems to have a beautiful soul. He has actually given me a lot of wisdom, I even made one of our encounters a scene in my first novel....

It is great that you do this Kasy, you inspire me!

-joy said...

they may be dark in their soul, but some will remember your face and your smile even when you thought they weren't looking. You can feel love from a smile.
We are blessed. May we remember that with every meal we have.

Kasey said...

Thanks Leslee, that is really cool about "Bill" - can't wait to read your novel!! YOU are my inspiration!! =)
Joy - thank you for reading and you are so very right about the love that can shine through in a smile and remebering how blessed we are!